Friday, June 8, 2007

WAIT! Don't throw THAT out - it's toxic!

Do you have any idea A) what kinds of household items are toxic, and B) how to properly dispose of them?

Is anyone aware that Oakland County has 3 dates each year they collect Hazardous Waste??? I don't think anyone is - apparently they have a web site (http://www.nohaz.com), but other than that, I have never heard anyone make mention of it. The way I found out about it - I called our garbage contractor and asked them how I dispose of old computer equipment. Their answer? "Give us $5 per computer and we'll haul it away."

Me: "Where do you put it?"
Them: "In the landfill."
Me: "What about the toxic components in electronics: lead, mercury, etc.?"

That's when they told me about the NoHaz hotline: 248-858-5656.

So, lesson learned! What do they take? All kinds of stuff: all types of batteries, gasoline, oil, computer & electronics, household cleaners, etc. (http://www.oakgov.com/waste/nohaz/nohaz_accepted.html).

I think this is a VITAL service - the fact that it is not publicized on every newspaper, TV station, radio station, etc. should be considered a criminal negligence of responsibility!

If you don't live in Oakland County, please contact your county or garbage collector and find out what to do with your household hazardous material (check that second link for a list of what is hazardous - it is pretty long and we have most of it in our house).

1 comment:

Jay Imerman said...

OK, I attended the September 8 No-Haz collection at the OCC Waterford campus, and I have to say it was great! Just pull up, they take the stuff out of your vehicle, and voila! Wish they had more days you could drop off. I highly recommend it. I got rid of the guts of a computer, some broken keyboards, misc. computer expansion cards, dead household batteries (thanks Duracell in beautiful Danbury, CT), and some old gasoline that had sat around in the shed for a couple of years.